The Buxton Crescent Heritage Trust has received a grant of £36,900 from the Government’s £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund. The vital funding will help the trust recover and reopen in this next period of the Covid-19 pandemic, at a hugely challenging time for the cultural sector.
Nearly £400 million has been awarded to thousands of cultural organisations across the country in the latest round of support from the Culture Recovery Fund.
This injection of cash will help towards continued running costs of the trust, which runs independently of the Buxton Crescent Hotel.
As well as the upkeep and reopening of the The Pump Room as the Buxton Visitor Centre, the trust has developed a ‘Visitor Experience’ – set inside the iconic Grade I listed Crescent building – which tells the stories of Buxton in a fun and interactive way. As things begin to improve in the coming months there are also plans to restart the vibrant events programme as well as continue to develop the education programme with local schools.
Buxton Visitor Centre will reopen on Monday 12th April 2021. Once again the public will be able to enjoy the gift shop offering a wide range of local interest books, stylish gifts, local products, stationery and cards and items inspired by the Crescent and Buxton’s spa heritage. As usual, knowledgeable staff will be on hand with any local and tourist information the public will need.
Over £800 million in grants and loans has already been awarded to support almost 3,800 cinemas, performance venues, museums, heritage sites and other cultural organisations dealing with the immediate challenges of the coronavirus pandemic.
In such turbulent times, this funding will be a much-needed helping hand for organisations transitioning back to a new normal in the months ahead.
Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden, said:
“Our record breaking Culture Recovery Fund has already helped thousands of culture and heritage organisations across the country survive the biggest crisis they’ve ever faced.
Now we’re staying by their side as they prepare to welcome the public back through their doors – helping our cultural gems plan for reopening and thrive in the better times ahead.”
Louise Cross, BCHT Director, said:
“On behalf of everyone at the trust, we are extremely grateful to the government for their support. We are looking forward to being able to welcome people back to the visitor centre and in particular the brand new Visitor Experience, which was only open briefly in Autumn last year. With the help of this grant, we can continue to develop and improve our offering as we emerge from the pandemic. The last year has been challenging for so many cultural institutions but these funds will help us to move forward with optimism”.
Ros Kerslake, CEO of The National Lottery Heritage Fund, said:
“Spring is definitely here, bringing not only sunshine but that sense of optimism and hope for the future. We are all looking forward to heritage places and other visitor attractions reopening and I am very pleased that we have been able to support DCMS in delivering this vital funding to ensure the UK’s heritage sector can rebuild and thrive, boosting local economies, creating jobs and supporting personal wellbeing.”
The funding awarded today is from a £400 million pot which was held back last year to ensure the Culture Recovery Fund could continue to help organisations in need as the public health picture changed. The funding has been awarded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and Historic England as well as the British Film Institute and Arts Council England.