A brief history
The area we know now as The Slopes originally named The Terrace was landscaped by the architect Jeffry Wyatville in 1811 for the 6th Duke of Devonshire, as pleasure grounds for the guests of The Crescent hotel to promenade on. They were further modified by Joseph Paxton in 1859.
The Terrace had previously been a bare hillside known as St Ann’s Cliff. In 1787 Major Hayman Rooke uncovered a long section of the Roman town wall, which is now beneath the landscaped hillside of The Slopes. At the same time Rooke also documented details of the base of a temple in the same area, overlooking the site of the baths and springs. The temple was dedicated to the water deity Arnemetia.
The Town Hall looks down from the top of The Slopes. It was designed by William Pollard in a French Renaissance style and built between 1887 and 1889.
In front of the war memorial built in 1920 is a bronze statue of Winged Victory holding a sword and a laurel wreath. The sculptor was Louis Frederick Roslyn.
The Met Office climatological station for Buxton is situated directly above the war memorial. The instruments at the station record various meteorological measurements (including temperatures, rainfall, humidity and wind speed and direction), which are read daily by volunteers. Buxton’s weather was formally recorded in the grounds of Devonshire Royal Hospital since 1865. The climatological station was relocated to its present site in 1925. It is one of the oldest weather stations in the UK.
What it is used for now?
Crowds relax on the Slopes to listen to bands playing on the roof of the Pump Room or watch the carnival process around the town during festival week.
Did you know?
The large stone urns were second hand and were made in the 1700s and brought from Londesborough Hall.