Does your community group need a venue? Buxton Crescent Heritage Trust are excited to announce that, in a project part-funded by the UK government through the UK Shared Prosperity Fund, we can now offer a free space for use by … Read More
Family and Public Learning
Fun for Families
Time travel together in the Crescent Experience
The Buxton Crescent Experience is family friendly and a great place to visit in all weathers.
Our General Admission tickets allow you and your children to explore the Experience at your own pace and enjoy the fun, interactive features.
- Build a Georgian style building
- Play our interactive games table and experience a visit to Buxton in 1800
- Take a virtual reality hot air balloon ride
- Dress up in historical hats
- Encounter a Victorian Apothecary (think Horrible Histories!)
Younger visitors can look out for our resident rats or take Solomon the Bear around the Experience with them. Click here to see our Crescent Experience Trail which is available.
For larger groups of 8, our Premium Tour is a 90-minute exclusive experience which allows you and your family to have the space to explore by yourselves Plus, under 8’s go free!
For opening times, availability and bookings click here
In the school holidays
Look out for our Pump Room Puzzler Activity Sheet and free ‘Crescent Crafts’ family activities in the Assembly Rooms. Each holiday’s activities have a different theme inspired by the Crescent’s history.
Crescent Crafts Family Activities are FREE to drop in to. Donations are really appreciated and go towards arts and crafts supplies for future family events.
During term time
On a Friday, once a month, under fives and their grown-ups can enjoy our Pitter Patter Sessions – exploring and playing with specially created activities in the Crescent Experience. Find out more here
These sessions are FREE to book, but with a suggested donation of £2 on the day, which helps us to keep running Pitter Patter sessions.
- Breastfeeding and bottle-feeding is welcome in all of our spaces.
- Baby-changing facilities and booster steps are available on the ground floor of the Crescent during Crescent Craft and Pitter Patter sessions.
- Toilets: There are accessible toilets on the ground floor of The Assembly Rooms and Crescent Experience.
- Buggies are welcome in the in the Assembly rooms and Crescent Experience. All floors are accessible by lift.
- Drinks and snacks are available to buy in The Pump Room, and there are places to sit. You can refill bottles from St Anne’s Well, we have a plentiful free supply of Buxton Water!
- The Pump Room sells a range of children’s books and gifts, many at pocket-money prices. Add a preview link to child or family friendly items in your shop
- Our spaces have wheelchair access – click here for more information https://buxtoncrescentexperience.com/accessibility/
- Sensory needs information can be found here https://buxtoncrescentexperience.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Symbol-supported-BCE-intro.pdf
University of Derby and Buxton Crescent Heritage Trust have a long and productive relationship. Before the Trust even opened the Crescent Experience and Buxton Visitor Centre, Derby students were busy behind the scenes researching customer trends within the local tourism … Read More
The people and businesses at the heart of Buxton’s town centre are set to be celebrated in ‘Our Street’ – a new photography exhibition at the Buxton Pump Room … Read More
A is for Arnemtiae, B is for Buxton FC, C is for Crescent, D is for?*
Finding out about the Manchester Alphabets got us thinking; what would a Buxton Alphabet look like? What would the people of Buxton include in a Buxton Alphabet created in 2022?
Our team in the Buxton Visitor Centre and Buxton Visitor Experience share top tips about Buxton everyday. We are always looking for ways to raise awareness of different places in the town that people can visit and enjoy; which is why we are launching this competition – to connect and celebrate the unique things about Buxton.
… Read More
We’re excited to invite applications for two new Visitor Services officer and Host work placements with the Buxton Crescent Heritage Trust.
Thanks to the Kickstart Scheme two new young people will be able to work in our friendly and passionate visitor services team, a great opportunity to gain work experience in a growing heritage and tourism charity.
If you’re age 16 to 24 and in receipt of Universal Credit, find out more about the role and follow the link to apply online! … Read More